Thursday, May 15, 2008

Dysfunctional Schools and Mad Cow Disease

Long time no see. How goes it back home?

That's rhetorical. Don't feel an obligation to answer me.

So several folks have been asking about how the whole "job" portion of our Korean Adventure is going. Well, wonder no more.


For me, the nuttiest part of the whole job is the absolute lack of expectations. No one here, Korean or Westerner, expects me to know anything, answer any questions, or even be able to accomplish what I am contractually obligated to do. Thing is, the Koreans are amazingly disorganized. They honestly have no clue what is going on at any given moment. We have 4 teachers who are heading out of here in a matter of weeks. I'm actually pretty sure we've got no one to replace them. The Western folks here made the mistake of getting themselves heavily vested in a dysfunctional organization- something I have just a teensy bit of experience in- and are often very stressed about work. Their kids won't listen, they are behind in the text books, they can't get solid answers from the management, and, of course, management has no clue what's happening in the trenches.



I couldn't be happier with it.

These are a few of my kids. Jen and I each teach about five classes a day. They're broken down first by age, and then by ability. Our Western friends are absolutely correct in every one of their concerns, but after some of the misadventures Jen and I have had on the other side of the Pacific this one is a no brainer. We just don't care. We show up, do what we're told, and then we go home. Don't get me wrong, we do our best while we're there. But if Plus School goes bottom up in a year I won't care, long as I get my paycheck. And they won't, by the way. Plus has it's problems, but it's a cash cow. If you have an English school in a pretty building and some white people wandering around you will make money. Period. So we get paid. Plus gets paid. We try to teach some kids English along the way. Far as I'm concerned, that's a win-win. And as we all know, that's all I go for.

In answer to the popular question 'How do you teach English when you don't speak Korean?' the answer is 'The kids speak English.' Not a ton, but the most basic kid here speaks English about on par with my Spanish. I'm actually pretty sure we're mostly for show. These kids meet with a Korean teacher as well, typically longer then they see us, and that's where they're learning most of the stuff.
Random fact: Ever notice how Koreans have a tough time with R's and L's? It's cause this letter: ㄹ makes both sounds. So now you know.
On to more interesting tid-bits. See this?


This is a picture of a Korean man taking pictures of a bunch of us at a park having a picnic. This is something else driving some of our friends here batty. People stare at us. And I mean STARE. Like open, obvious, focused... staring. On the subway, on the street, out to eat, once in a bathroom. Ok, not really. But I wouldn't be surprised. Personally, I've just taken it as a compliment. I've always believed that all women wanted me, and all men were jealous. Turns out Koreans just can't hide it as well as all of UCF. And SCC. And high school. And that brief stint in Canada. But I digress.

By the way, here's us at the park.






See that tall gold building behind us? That's the 63 building. It's the tallest building in Seoul. They are very proud of it. It's only 63 stories tall. Now, I wasn't mistaken when I told you Seoul is as big as New York. Turns out it was only very recently that the Korean government allowed building to be taller than Calgery Tower, and this building was the first. I have no idea what or where Calgery Tower is, but I'm betting it's old, important, and less than 63 stories high.

Speaking of the Korean government...



Ok, don't think about this too long. If you do there is every chance you'll have an aneurysm and fall over dead face first into your keyboard. You've been warned.


Turns out the Korean people like their new president about as much as US likes Bush. I'm not making this up. I swear it.

Turns out Koreans are upset because all of the beef in the US has Mad Cow Disease. This diseased beef is being purchased by South Korean President Lee Myung-bak and it will kill all Koreans who eat any of this beef in about 5 years. This is a hardcore belief folks- the Koreans won't even entertain the notion this might not be true. Jen found this magazine. No, I don't know what it says but I can take a good guess.

Now before you write off all Koreans as gullible fools, please remember that our country made Anna Nicole Smith a national celebrity. It also contains an awful lot of citizens who pass along forwards claiming that if we all don't buy gas next Thursday fuel prices will finally go down. I love my country. I'm just sayin...


Random wonderful thing in Korea:



This is the statue in front of a movie theatre near where we live. Yeah... I know, I was impressed too.



KOREAN SIGN TIME!!






Clearly, there is no leaning allowed in Korea. Also illegal: Falling out of mysterious trap doors and landing head first. I'm guessing it's an insurance thing.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome....Absolutely Awesome. Have you discovered the theory on fans yet?

Anonymous said...

If you only ask one question of Koreans while you are over there, this must be it:

What's with the making of the peace sign in pictures?

You may have other questions that you think are "more important", but you are mistaken, my friend.

On another note, I'm loving the sign segment of the blog.

Danger said...

Wait wait wait wait wait....



...you moved to Korea?

When the hell was this and why wasn't I told?!?!

Meghan said...

i think someone needs to keep dan in the loop! pooor pooor dan....

but he will some how survive while his beloved bother, i mean brother wanders around Korea accepting stares as complements

and speaking of stairs.... yo no tengo boyfriend! use the stairs