Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas!

...eve. Well, it's close enough.



I'm sitting in the teacher's workroom on Christmas Eve. I should be grading the dozens of workbooks causing some pretty sever avalanche conditions on my desk, but I just can't make myself care. Maybe it's the 104 degree fever I was rocking a few days ago still lingering, maybe it's the bitter cold that doesn't show any signs of leaving, but mostly I suspect that this just doesn't feel like Christmas.

How ironic is that? I'm seeing my very first cold Christmas- there's even a decent chance of snow- and I've never been less excited to see 'ol Santa Clause. It's not a surprise to those of us who watch Christmas movies that it's all about who you spend your holidays with that make all the difference, but living this part of it out sucks.

But fret not, oh enjoyers of a warmer Christmas season. We'll be fine. We have made some wonderful friends out here, and if we're a little homesick on Christmas, we couldn't be homesick with better people. We decided on a ridiculous change of pace and spend Christmas Eve and Day at Rocky Mountain Tavern, along with a few brief stops to say hi at a few other friend's parties. Jen and I have a tree, stockings, and just to make it feel like home we bought a bunch of lights that I never put up....

Good Lord, we miss you guys. I knew when I planned this trip that this would be the hardest part. For both of us. But we've got each other, and that is a ridiculous amount. Hoist a glass of Christmas cheer for your favorite folks in the Far East- and, if necessary, an extra one for Jen and I. We miss you, we love you, and rest assured we're hoisting a glass and a prayer to each and every one of you.

All the love,

-Al & Jen

Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

Momma Jean said...

OK, everyone, where you're sitting right now, sing for Al and Jen (softly if you must, loud if you can);

We wish you a Merry Christmas
We wish you a Merry Christmas
We wish you a Merry Christmas
And a Happy New Year.

Sing it again, if you want.

There ya go, Al and Jen. That should make you feel a little bit better. Everyone who reads this is singing to you. And, we are just a 'Little Bit Jealous' of the snow thing. Not enough to make us leave Florida (it's 72F right now), but still, a little.

You are missed like crazy!

Merry Christmas!

Love you always!
~Jeanie

Layne said...

Rest assured. We miss you too and your presence is definitely missed. And I, for one, am definitely jealous of the snow. Can you try to bring me a snowball home as a souvenir? Ya know, save it in the freezer? No? Well, I tried.

Bundle up and stay warm. We love you and Merry Christmas!!