Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Little Late: Thanksgiving!

There's just too much to cover. We had our first real snowfall, which was pretty huge. So was Thanksgiving, mom and Dart visiting, not to mention stuff about Plus Academy... this may take more than one blog.

Here, let's start with Thanksgiving.




Here's a shot of most of the crowd. All told we probably had about 45-50 people show up, and at least 6 were attending their very first Thanksgiving. That was, for me, probably the coolest part of the whole thing.





Here's one of the buffet tables. There were about two and a half of them. I was really impressed with some of the stuff folks came up with. We did it pot luck style, which was good, and then bought some fully cooked turkeys. Bonus: we totally swiped that orange bowl.




Speaking of turkey, here's Dart and I tackling one of the birds. That big bag on the right is the other one. We didn't know it at the time, but the birds were fried. It made sense, seeing as we bought the turkeys from a Popeye's Fried Chicken on the military base. I love fried turkeys, by the way. The white meat stays so juicy, it's amazing. I've never been particularly skilled in the turkey carving, though, so Dart had to give me a hand. FYI: A fried turkey is still really really hot.




This is me with Corey, one of the owners of RMT. You can't tell it from this picture, but he can be one intimidating guy. Something about the eyes... anyway, he's normally really a nice guy, and, as I think I mentioned before, gave us the room to use for free.




Here's one more group shot. Jesse, on my mom's left, and Angel, on her right, are both from South Africa. Marika, holding the turkey wing, is from Australia. They were some of the Thanksgiving rookies. Marika, by the way, ate that wing. Needless to say, she's awesome.

I'll toss in a slide show, cause I'm just that nice of a guy. All told, it was an amazing success. It lasted 6 or 7 hours, and I took home tons of leftovers, including a huge bag of leftover turkey and an entire apple pie. It's amazing how much I rule.


Ok, even out the good stuff and the bad stuff. We'll knock out Plus Academy stuff next, then we'll see if I have time to move on.

Things are going from bad to worse from a job standpoint. Here's a pretty good example.

Jen got a really bad sore throat, to the point where she was so swollen she woke up unable to breathe for a moment. She was ok, but went to the hospital the next morning. She called in and told Yoon (the manager that deals with all of the foreign teachers for all Plus branches) and Yoon asked her to still teach her first two classes. Jen agreed. Yoon thanked her, and told her she'd contact our supervisor, Sonny, and let her know. So, Jen taught the two classes, and went home.

Two classes after that I walked into the teachers workroom. This room is shared by the foreign teachers and the Korean teachers, and there are often at least a half dozen students coming and going as well. As I walked in Sonny was talking with 4 little Korean students. Sonny looked up, saw me, and proceeded to start reaming me out demanding to know where Jen was. I mean raised voice and everyone staring.

Personally, I was baffled. I've been here for over 7 months, coming up on 8. After all that time, how can this woman not know who I am? Doesn't she know I'm Al Sterling?

Anyway, I somehow not only managed to restrain the urge to help her exit the office via the window, but kept my voice down as I said, "Not in front of the students," It may have lacked Sonny's volume, but the intensity seemed to get my point across.

Fast forward to the end of the day- Sonny meets with me privately to discuss Jen. I take the opportunity to explain that if she ever yells at me like that again, I will yell back.

For the record, no one ever called Jen. At any point.

There are a few other instances like this beginning to creep up, and the next semester is shaping up to be an ugly one. Luckily, at that point we've only got 4 months left.

Our travel plans have adjusted as well. Instead of flying from Beijing down to Sydney we're going to just backpack from Seoul to Sydney. Has a nice ring to it, dontchathink?

Anyway, the other idea tossed into the mix is this whole "work" thing. I'm keeping an eye out on what is happening in the world of Youth Ministry, and there is a church or two that I might even apply to. Trouble will start when they want me to start before I'm planning on being inside of 4 or 5 time zones- then the question becomes what to do. Cut short the contract? All told, it'd cost us almost $7k to leave even a day early. Cut short the travel? It's a once in a lifetime chance, not bloody likely. Have to pass on the job? There is a finite number of jobs that will work, and the process to get hired is measured in months. Oftentimes, like 6 of them. But that's what would likely give if I couldn't talk them into giving me some more time.

This is all a snapshot, of course. Jen and I discuss it constantly, exploring the different angles and debating the pluses and minuses of each approach and idea. Mostly, though, I figure God will handle it. He seems to have most of this stuff figured out, so I'll assume he can handle this too.

Ok, it's getting late, I'm gonna wrap up. I'll try to get another blog up before the end of the week, but no promises.

-Al & Jen (But mostly Al)



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The art of praise in public and criticize in private seems to be forgotten by many. I have lectured many a person I've worked for about this. Honestly, you don't belong in management if you can't figure out why things SHOULD be done that way. Good for you! Sounds like you handled that in a way that made them feel like a real idiot.

We miss you here. I'll be sure to kill a few extra brain cells in your honor this New Years!

Irish Blessings said...

I am so glad you guys had a great Thanksgiving!!!

As for your troubles on what to do. Don't leave early from Korea. If you do, I'm sorry, you're stupid and a quiter and I'm gonna kick your ass. Love ya. And whether to take a job or travel. Well, that's just up to you and Jenn my dear. You can try to apply and do email/internet interviews and what not if you want. But if you'r heart's not fully in it then don't apply. There's probably someone else that wants/needs the job more than you. I will say that traveling overseas is probably a lot cheaper and easier without children. But, that's not saying that if you guys do decide to have kids it wouldn't be a blast with them! I know it seems so but travel is not usually a once in a lifetime chance. Sure, it might be a hell of a lot EASIER right now to travel, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to in the future. And if I know Jenn you will travel in the future.

So, do you want to travel and have fun, then come home (hopefully with money saved so you can live until you get jobs again) or do you want to come home for a job and start saving more money so you can do things later?

Momma Jean said...

Woo-Hoo! What a ride! Thanks kids, we had an absolute blast. You two have some wonderful people surrounding you.

You are absolutely correct in that the Good Lord has you in the palm of His Hand. You can plan all you want, but in the end, it is His Will.

Love You. Thanks again for the most memorable Thanksgiving ever!