Monday, June 16, 2008

This Blog Is Inappropriate.

Long time no see!


Ok, first off, an apology for the wait. The last two weeks have been crazy busy getting some serious set up done. Nothing interesting, I'm afraid, but certainly time consuming. But now it's handled, and I'm all yours again. Ta freakin dah.


As to our title for this particular misadventure, I am aware that I have a grandmother, a mother in law, a mother (though she hardly counts for this one), and a possible smattering of teenagers who (claim to) read this. Personally, I think it's just my mom, and only then because I've started calling home. But these things beg reporting, so we'll just knock them out all at once. It's nothing too risque, and no, I don't have pictures. There are also several tidbits no more inappropriate than normal. Besides, I don't know the meaning of the word appropriate. Or the spelling. Thanks, dictionary.com!


NOTE: I was joking about my mom not counting. She's a wonderful woman who should be respected at all times, even when thousands of miles away. (Weirdest thing, the back of my head started to sting like I'd just been smacked...)



But let's be gentle at first.



Several readers asked about how the whole lack-o-tub thing was coming. Well, it's not. We'll be showering for the remainder of our stay here in the ROK. It's not fun, but Jen's adjusting with her normal grace. I'm not sure I've noticed yet.



I walked into my apartment after work tonight long enough to change and start uploading some pics. Maybe 10 minutes. When I came back out it smelled like a dead fish truck had exploded in the hallway and all up and down the stairs. I'm serious. If something sends me over the edge, it'll be the constant surprising smell of sea creatures. Usually early in the morning. Ugh.



So we're coming up on two months here in Korea, and I've officially met my ultimate adversary. An enemy so evil it destroys the lives of all that it comes in contact with. This deadly enemy knows no mercy, no love, no God. This destroyer of souls can be found throughout the world, but it's presence in South Korea is especially strong. You guessed it.















Stairs.


I mean, seriously, look at this thing. I mean, sure there's an escalator on either side, but... ya know... look at it!


Here's what I've learned about stairs:



  1. After about 8 flights even going downstairs sucks.

  2. Someone, somewhere, needs to figure out this escalator thing. These things break. A lot. And I don't just mean here. In the malls back home they'd be broken all the time. Why? What's so FREAKING complicated?

  3. When going up stairs to my apartment there are exactly 64 Jesus-hating steps.

  4. The elevator has ALWAYS just passed you.

  5. If the little snots don't stop running down the stairs hitting the elevator call button on EVERY FLIGHT all the way down I'm going to find a rifle. Or some trip wire.

  6. When going downstairs quickly at some point you're just in a controlled fall.

  7. I can now successfully make it to the fourth floor of my apartment building before cursing in short jagged breaths.

  8. The next 180 year old woman bent double carrying a pack as big as I am that passes me on the stairs like I'm standing still is going back downstairs in a hurry. Stupid old women.

  9. One more threat. The next obnoxious teen that stops halfway on the stairs so they can text faster is going over the rail.

  10. I've got nothing. Just seems like I should have ten.


Ok, next up, check this out.





This, my friends, is a 4-level game of Chutes and Ladders. Your marble actually drops through the holes and rolls along the board down to wherever you just ended up. We found this game at a store in the COEX (Pronounced COEX) mall. This mall is amazing. It's sporting a movie theatre, hotel, giant aquarium, several meeting rooms, and a stage area where they have small ensembles play classical music. They also have a store with over 50 boards games, everything from Axis and Allies to a game where you bet little pictures of bananas and then flick little plastic monkey and try to land them all in the tree.


We played that last one to. Here's how Jen ended the game.








And here's me.





I did actually knock the crap outta that cheating plastic tree. It flew off the table sending plastic monkey shrapnel everywhere, and collided rather heavily into the adjacent table of Koreans who were, until very recently, enjoying what appeared to be a double date.


I had a choice to make here.


And so, I asked myself what any self-respecting American would do. What Would Dan Do? With that in mind I leaped onto my table, roared, and then jumped onto the Korean's table, smashing game pieces and overpriced cups of coffee alike. I then claimed one both of the Korean women as my new wives and drug them both off by the hair of the head. After, of course, taking all the money from their now ex-boyfriends.



Ok, not really. I apologized profusely and got a sound scolding from Jen. But in my mind... whoa. Ok? Just WHOA.



But I told you this was an inappropriate blog, and inappropriate it shall be.


First up, look at this picture.




Now, at first glance you might assume that this is a car wash. I can understand you're confusion. It's not. In Seoul whenever you see the stripes of colored material hanging down like that it means that on the other side of it there are things happening that would get, to put it mildly, an R Rating from the MPAA. This particular entrance is part of the view from our window. Turns out Gerium (our neighborhood) has a single claim to fame, and it's having a lot of these things. Why am I sharing it now? Because just recently they put up that pretty banner above it. I have no idea what it says, and to be honest I don't want to. The things I've come up with are way funnier than anything it might actually mean, and too obscene to print here.


No, Dan, you can't post your ideas either.



Second: Jen found this place that offers women a full facial, complete with massage and weird stuff the smear all over your face, for something like $20. They'll give men a facial, and even include a facial massage, but that's it. Now my back has been hurting quite a bit from dragging around a heavy backpack, not to mention it's just always been tight. I'd read somewhere that things like massages went pretty cheap, so I set off to find one.


My first stop was a jinjubang (Pronounced Gin-jew-bawng). These bad boys are a favorite spot for Koreans. They feature large communal hot tubs, steam rooms, sleeping areas, TVs, massages, the works. All for about $10. Not bad, right? Well the catch, I was told, was that you were separated by gender and proceeded nude through the areas with hot tubs, showers, and saunas. After that you were given a robe and then entered the areas with TVs, PCs, sleeping areas, and what have you. Furthermore, several Koreans warned me, I would be stared at. A lot.


None of this phased our hero for a moment. Those of you who participated in the ReCreation Shower Hockey games know that I'm not squeamish. So I was all set to go. But then, I hit a snag. Turns out the massages are done in the first area, not the second.


Now folks, I'm a pretty laid back guy. It takes a bit for this kinda thing to bother me. But being rubbed down with nothing but a towel by another man who, depending on location, was also only sporting a towel, while being stared at by everyone else in there eventually topped off my no-no meter. Can't do it. My lower back has been tight and stiff for almost 10 years. That's not going to loosen me up.


But I wasn't worried. I hunted onward. A little more research showed that at places where you see a barbershop pole outside a man can get a haircut, shave, and massage all for roughly $10. Good deal. But, I was warned, stay out of the places with 2 barbershop poles. Those have bad things in them.


The research lied.


First off, it's hard to tell if they mean 2 poles right next to each other, or just 2 on either side of the doorway. I saw a lot of both. Moreover, none of them were good places, even if it only had one pole. This one places had two sets of twin poles. I have no idea what that means, but I'm not even going to eat in the restaurant upstairs from it.


After one of the more obscene experiences in my young life, I eventually was directed to the Massage Palace. Despite it's name, it is a strictly up and up reputable place where you can get a massage that won't end in divorce. The cost? $80. For that I could have gotten one back home. By the time it was done, I was even more stressed than before I began my hunt, and now I'm terrified to get a haircut, let alone a massage.


Third, and for me the most disconcerting.


Every man knows, without ever being told, that there is a certain protocol when using a urinal. It's just instinct. Stare straight ahead. Study a tiny piece of tile. Do not speak, do not move. Do what you're there to do and leave. Of course, wash your hands. While washing your hands you are permitted to have short conversations, if necessary (read: the women are waiting outside). Then leave.


Not so in Korea. It is perfectly normal for a man standing next to another man to not only glance over, but COMMENT. Now, this hasn't happened to me. Which is good, since my first instinct is to punch them in the face. You just don't do it. I'm developing phobias here, people. Seriously.



Alrighty, next a (very) brief moment of seriousness.


Jen and I are dealing with some homesickness. Nothing we can't handle, but from time to time we really start missing home. Saturday night was one of those.



Thing is, the other foreign teachers here are very, well, let's call it independent. I'd mentioned I'd been DJ'ing (for free, mind you, since having another job is against the law and I'd never do something like that) at a local bar. Well, it was a ton of work, but Jen and I were very excited. We'd both worked hard and felt ready. We invited everyone we worked with, and several said they'd be there.


No one showed. Not a one of them.


Now, to be fair, a few had been wishy washy, and a couple sent a text message saying they'd miss, but all the same, it sucked. Jen was sitting by herself for a chunk of the night, and both of us were pretty bummed. It just never would have happened back home. Our crew is FAR from perfect, but when it counts we don't just show up, we show up en masse.




That being said, we rocked the freakin house. Jen was back there with me helping me cue up songs, and we packed that place and partied from 10pm till about 3am. It went way better than we thought it would, and the folks in charge seemed pleased. DJs: Working on a Pioneer 4 Channel mixer with a single mic input and a pair of P800 players, the speakers are weak but they've had complaints from the neighboring businesses so they try not to make it too loud.





All of which got me thinking about the nature of what happens here as teachers. The contracts last a year, and the average person seems to do about a year and a half. These kids we teach are at a hagwon long enough to see a complete turnover 3 or 4 times. It's all so temporary it's almost unsettling. No one can tell you what was happening more than around 6 or 8 months ago, and even then half the time it's hearsay. It got me thinking about how quick life goes by, and what really matters. With every day that passes out here I'm more certain that Central Florida is the only home for me. The friends and family we have back home are like nothing else I've ever seen, or even heard of. Of course, I ain't seen (or heard of) a whole lot, but still...


Don't get me wrong. I'm still thrilled to be here, and so is Jen. We're learning some tough lessons, but I'm feeling confident we're right where we're supposed to be.



Speaking of which, we did meet an American guy Saturday night who told us about this really great church, so we'll be checking it out this Sunday. We're optimistic about it, too. Tell ya true, I'm already perusing the job sheets. No matter how bad they knock me around, it turns out I can't stay outta ministry for long.



Well, let's post some pics and call it a night.



This would be the teacher's workroom. My desk is the second one in. I understand if you didn't recognize it, since it's actually clean...



We have no clue why, but this was in the COEX mall. I thought the dog looked a little like Brian from Family Guy. Jen's new haircut, by the way, is beautiful.



This is me beating the pants off some teenage girls at an XBOX setup they had at the movie theatre. Andy (the only white boy) had just been schooled. The girls took the controller from me after that match. It wasn't my fault, they were playing DOA4. Did I mention how pateint my wife can be?



And here's the promised tug o war pic. That's me in the back. It. Was. Awesome. And, apparently, my legs have somehow gotten even bigger. Seriously, between that and the belly no wonder I keep getting pregnancy jokes...



And last but not least,


SIGN TIME!


Ok, in the spirit of inappropriate, Jen and I found this and couldn't help but share it.



It's the bulge that I couldn't stop laughing at. Well, that and the string of jokes that instantly followed. Those, too, aren't suitable to print.


And that'll do it for me. Jen and I should have a video of our place up in the next week or two, so keep an eye out for that.


We miss you guys and love you all very very much!



-Al (& Jen!)

15 comments:

Irish Blessings said...

thank god my incision is finanlly on the up and up on being mended! because by the time i got to the oranges I was laughing quite hard. well, hard for me over the past couple of weeks and let me tell you, laughing has hurt! a lot! but, i am glad i can laugh again. glad to see you can find things that amuse you over there and share them with us just a few miles across the sea!

i hate you by the way. you take pictures and tell us it's bad and leave it at that. you know me, i wanna know!!!

know that we miss you both too. and i don't know who all i can speak for, but dave and I are so proud of you guys for doing this! it is freakin amazing that you guys packed up and went overseas for a year in another country. all the cool/wierd/different stuff you're doing, learning, etc.... must be so much fun! And look at it this way. It's just a year, and then you have to see us again. :P One year of being away from it all and then you get to have it all back again. Hope this helps. I got to go feed someone now....

Love you guys!

Momma Jean said...

regarding your comment of;

"The friends and family we have back home are like nothing else I've ever seen, or even heard of. Of course, I ain't seen (or heard of) a whole lot, but still..."

You two have seen and done more than the average American ever will. Your friends and family are so proud of you, and so jealous, it cannot be put into words (even with the 23 good-bye parties you had)! It is the love and joy that you guys hold for each other, and give to your friends that is the unique and beautiful thing.

As far as 'inappropriate' goes, you are too gentle with your readers. I am sure the rest of your family can handle it. Your friends want more! Give it up! But I am glad my telekinetic smack was felt, all the same.

Love you two! Post a little more, will ya? We miss and love you more than you can know!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Jeannie. "You are too gentle with your readers." When I read the title to this blog, I was all psyched up for a true Al moment. This was way tame for what I was prepared for. Don't get me wrong, still ultra funny and totally Al. I guess you have set the bar for inappropriate-ness uber high. We definitely miss you both back here!

Anonymous said...

Dude, I think you need to go kick those stairs' ass and do a Rocky-style celebration everytime you do :) Just think how skinny you'll be after a year of running up and down your stairs in your building? Anyways, keep up the great stories! Miss you guys, and I know you miss the Toasty Babies!

Anonymous said...

Asians are the biggest perverts in the world. Trust me, be glad that Al spared us what was beyond the striped poles or ribbons or what have you. One has to remember, he's in the land were cartoons are made about monsters with tentacles that do horrible things to women, and this is called entertainment!

You're missed here as well. Lynard Skynard just isn't the same without a brown man singing it. lol

Anonymous said...

I give it another month before you are commenting over penis size at a urinal and running one of those 2 pole barber shops! Just wanted to drop by and mention that you guys are missed by someone in NC too. :)

JLC said...

So, how do people from central Florida end up in strange places that they probably never in their wildest dreams imagined being ten years ago?

I guess the answer is simple: Life.

You're in Korea, teaching English and writing this rather amusing blog. I'm in Kentucky, on pregnancy hiatus from journalism, also writing a blog.

Mr. Sterling, life is funny.

-Jennifer (White) Castle

P.S.: Please laugh. I even hyphenated my name for a while and used it in my bylines at work.

Anonymous said...

alright this is my first comment in all your blogs, but believe me, I read and laugh my ass off at every one...

alright these Koreans are more perverted than the spanish and the arabs combined... its crazy!.... so I'll be there soon... dont worry. can you just find me a couple of chicks that...dont look like... well, you know...
anyway guys... we m,iss u and all that other mushy crap... alot more than I care to say (I have a heartless reputation to uphold) but yea, love you guys,
peace
Jose

Anonymous said...

Alan, Jen,
We are proud of you. It does hurt to be away, but when you come home, you will have experiences like nobody else. I can tell you first hand. I think about my time away from the states a lot. Sometimes I wish I could afford to go back and revisit those places.
I enjoy this blog. Your writing is fun and light. I smell something..... Ooh, I smell an author, maybe a newspaper or magazine writer. I dunno?
When I see that Miami Dolphins hat over there on you, I smile. My chest puffs out with American and Fins pride!!

Anonymous said...

LIFE is a daring adventure...or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Anonymous said...

You have the best wife in the world, to not only just put up with you, but put up with you in Korea... :-P

I miss you both and am so excited to read about your adventures. keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

Alan, so you know. I look forward to this blog more than the daily news, (and I read a lot of it).
I know your life there is more important than a blog, but I gotta tell ya, I hang on every word you say with a smile. Yes, please, keep it coming. Long or short. Photos or not. Keep it coming!!
Oh, By the way.....GOOOOOOOOO FINS!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I understand EXACTLY what you mean about our group of friends. Honestly, it's amazing. Lord knows, Justin and I have gone through our share of wishy-washy friends, but we always keep coming back to our roots... and that's always in Central Florida, with great friends like you and Jenn. ;o)

We miss you! By the way, we have adopted your mom and Dart in the meantime... they are coming over for dinner and games later this week. :o)

Anonymous said...

Come on Al, we see violent protest over our meat. Do tell. Inquiring minds want to know!!
Hope things are well with y'all
Andy

Momma Jean said...

Oh where, oh where, did our dear Alan go? Oh where, oh where, could he be?

With an extra large heart, and a wife that's so smart, oh where, oh where could he be?

C'mon, son! Post already!