Monday, November 17, 2008

Q: What Does Korea and Al Have In Common?

A: Both are cold and bitter.

It's officially freezing here in South Korea. I'm so confused.

It's the logistics off all this that keeps throwing me off. For example, when it's freezing outside you have to put on a bunch of clothes. But then you get to where you're going, you're hot. So then you start to take off the extra clothes. When you layer, doesn't this get awkward? I mean, it's one thing to take off a jacket. But what about the jacket and the sweatshirt? And the legs is just weird. I mean, is it kosher to take off extra sweatpants?

And what happens when it snows? I know enough to realize that stuff is wet, so I have to, I assume, wear an outer later of nylon or something. But then what do I do? Do I sit in wet pants, or can I peel those suckers off? And then there's the 15 minute walk to the dojang (Korean word for dojo) I do every morning. How the heck does that fit in? And then, afterwards I'm all sweaty and that really sucks when it's cold out...

In Florida, you just wear jeans. Grab a jacket, everyone knows you won't need it after 11:30am. But you can leave it in your car!!

In other news, we got a big meeting on Wednesday. Since we've been bought by this bigger company they're saying that they'll be changing our class structure. To say I'm suspicious is to say that the Miami Dolphins are amazing. Both are obvious understatements.

I gotta tell ya, I had one fantastic weekend. We spent time with wonderful people, I blew the doors off the bar I volunteer at (Not literally, Jose. Calm down. Oh, my friend Jose, not my father-in-law Jose...) and in general just owned this town. Then came Monday...

I'm close to hating this job. It's not as bad as Fazoli's was at the end, that job I hated. But PLUS and the YMCA are just about tied. I don't trust them, and there isn't much to redeem it. But hey, we've only got 5 1/2 months left until we're finished, and knowing me, I'll check out all but physically in another 4 months. Ok, ok... 3 months. 2 1/2. FINE!! I've got 2 weeks until I reach the summit of Apathy Mountain.

The date is significant, by the by, because that's when my mom and Dart arrive. WOO HOO!! The only thing that could possibly be better than faces from home is new underwear.

I'm not kidding. For some reason my washer has a razorblade spin cycle. I don't even know why they have that option, but my clothes keep coming out looking like they were used for a katana demonstration, and the whole damn washer is in Korean, so I've got no clue how to make it play nice...

Ok, I'm going to eat hot soup. Much love, folks. Letcha know when it snows...

-Al

4 comments:

Layne said...

You know I have that exact same problem when I go somewhere cold. I know the two days outta the year in Florida where you actually need to wear some serious clothes, it's freaking hot whenever you get where you are going and end up peeling stuff off and carrying it around all day. Super annoying.

So I ask people from up north (like my husband, friends, etc), wtf? What do you peeps do up there? Their answer: Floridians overcompensate in the winter and crank up the heat in every building so that you can still wear the Floridian stable (tank top, jeans, flip-flops). So when you bundle up and go somewhere, it's bound to be a sauna in every building you enter. Most Northeners agree that they keep it cold enough inside public buildings in the winter that you only need to remove your outermost jacket. Hmm . . sounds reasonable, I guess.

Problem is I visited my brother in Ohio a few winters ago and it was 2os-30s outside. Sure enough I bundled and I was miserable inside every building, either sweating or having to haul around my outerwear. Moral of the story: Yankees lie.

The one thing I will say is that nearly every place we walked in did have a coat closet of some sort to hold customers/visitors outermost coat. But if you are still wearing 3 layers under that you are screwed and sweaty by the end of the event. Sorry I don't have any helpful advice, just comfort that you aren't the only Floridian out there who struggles with this annoyance when it's cold. But enjoy the snow for me! I'm jealous! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Do we need to send the two of you underwear for Christmas? lol

Irish Blessings said...

Ok, so we're either getting Al and Jenn underwear for Christmas or looking up just what the heck the silly little clothes washer is saying!

I agree with Layne. When I went to Canada, now remember I am Floridian, I wore all but my "winter jacket" inside. I wore those nylon pants under my jeans and hiking socks. Usually a long sleeve T followed by a short sleeve T, then a sweatshirt is what I wore indoors at my cousins house. And yes, I hate it that down here you bundle up to get from house to house (or work) and then you have to un-bundle because we want it 75 deg year round it seems. Floridians are so damn annoying. When it's hot we want it cold when it's cold we want it hot. Well, my advice is to layer. And when you get to work, toss off a couple layers (above and below the waste) and throw them in that empy bag you brought with you. =)

And boy howdy is your momma anxious to get over to Korea.... know that a part of all of us are going over with them!

Just remember, if you get snow on your jeans...it will itch!!!

Anonymous said...

I must say that I was extremely excited about the "blew the doors off" comment, until you said it wasnt literally. oh and speaking of which, I'm getting a new tattoo.
now you may ask yourself, "Jose why is this relevant to a comment about blowing doors off??" ahh my friend, because I am getting (as an addition to my eventual sleeve) Allahu Akbar in arabic lettering. dont worry I'm going to add a cross to it somewhere to represent the christian God not the Muslim one. I did a fair amount of research on it and it ligit. the main word for God in arabic is "Allah" so its fine.