Thursday, November 20, 2008

What A Difference A Day Makes

Yesterday, about this time, I was getting pretty sick of all this.

Today, well, I feel better.

Could it be the amazing impromptu dinner party Jen and I had last night? Perhaps. Baked potatoes had been a very rare thing, and the BBQ sauce I whipped up would make my dad awfully proud. Add in some good company and the world seems to make a bit more sense.



Those veggies on the end were amazing too, by the way. And no one complained about the mismatched silverware and plates. Thank goodness... I'd have been so embarrassed.


The next morning I ventured off into the great unknown. I was a hunter, and I knew my prey. I knew the grounds where my quarry dwelt. I had stalked, sulked, and occasionally even slinked. Here's my first kill:


This is the 3rd pair of headphones I've purchased since coming to Korea. I'm afraid I'm a little rough on them, and they get a heck of a lot more use than they ever did back home. I got a little crazy with this latest pair, though... it just seemed really American.

After that I went into a section of town known as Namdaemun. This fertile hunting ground has just about everything you could imagine- from raw fish to high end electronics, from clothes to stuff that I'm pretty sure is illegal, it's all there. I went hunting for vanilla extract, chocolate chips, and a carton of Camels.

Now, before you get upset, I haven't taken up smoking. Neither has Jen. But I have a few friends who really wanted some, and I have developed a knack for finding things out here. And so I went into the grounds. How'd I do? Here's how I did.


I descended into a market that is several square miles in size and emerged with all 3 items. Including the extra stop for the headphones it took me right at one hour. OH MY GOODNESS, I AM AMAZING.










Of course, then I got lost. I had to call Jen, and she helped talk me back to the subway.

What can I say? I'm a hunter... not a... returner?

OH!! Did you notice the oven? We're SO freakin excited. It arrived a few days ago. We've rocked baked potatoes, one killer meatloaf, and the aforementioned BBQ chicken. We are very pleased.

And then, after returning victorious from the hunting fields, my wife and I set to making some chocolate chip cookies. With Christmas music in the background and us just about to put the first batch in the oven Jen glances out the window and says... you guessed it...

"Is that snow?"


This is about the best picture we could get. It's really a shame, too. It was just a flurry, we're told, and it all melted the second it hit the ground, but for a little bit it was actually coming down!! It was very exciting. We ran outside, enjoyed the moment together, then went back inside and finished off our first batch of Christmas cookies.

All told, I kinda felt the Good Lord's hand patting me on the shoulder, as if to say gently to me, "Al. Seriously. Chill out. I got this. And let's face it, you're not that bright."

So I thought I'd pass on some good cheer, oh friends and family of ours. Yeah, they're going to try to screw us. But we'll be fine.

Heck, we always are.

Here, by the way, is my wife making cookies.



She is, as always, the very picture of home, hearth, and beauty.


Here's her husband....



I couldn't decide on a caption. Here were my favorites...

Whats that? You need this cookie dough mixed without an electric beater? I'll just use my GUNS!

or...

I bake. You gotta problem with that?

or...

Cookies or DEATH?!

or...

Terrorist? Maybe. But don't judge me until you've tried my chocolate chip cookies. Just sayin...

Much love folks.

-Al & Jen

5 comments:

Irish Blessings said...

You have no idea how HAPPY I am for you guys! I am SO pleased that you are feeling better. Or hopefully. =)

Those headphones remind me of American Gladiators! So rock them out when you use them, haha. Congratulations on the little oven too! You know, when you can make little things from home, it just makes your day. Heck, I'm turning into a little chef myself!

Have fun with the snow! Just remember: it can be soft and fluffy and the next day it can be like ice and you can run and pull a Charlie Brown and fall flat on your ass. Not that I've ever done that.

However I am a little disapointed with you guys. =( It's not even Thanksgiving and you're listening to Christmas music! Come on!!! Just because your a couple miles away doesn't mean you can skip out on that. Ok, I just had to get that off my chest.

Love You Guys!

Anonymous said...

Nothing... I repeat, NOTHING is as comforting as potatoes. Bad day? Baked potato with cheese and bacon. Fish lose again? Cheesy scalloped potatoes. Find out your penniless, being accused of murder and your dog dies? Mashed potatoes and gravy makes it all better.

Momma Jean said...

I'd go with the caption "Cookies or Death!" Drop the ?, OK?

Thanks, Laura. Really Al, Christmas music on November 19? What would your mother say? Oh, right....

Justin, you missed one; You go to work and find the IRS agents are waiting? French Fries! Who needs an oven?

See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Al,
Is that a little 'snow' on your mountain. My gosh, that married life is making you gray. Welcome to the club. Whatever you do, don't dye it. It's pointless. Just accept it, embrace it, and move on.
Happy Thankgiving you two. Wish you were here.

Anonymous said...

I would have to say that if you don't (or in this case can't) return home than you are less of a hunter and more of a nomad living off the land.

Dave