Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Good News: Al Got Photo-Happy


You almost got this blog a week ago. Why?

Well, turns out that with my new schedule Mondays and Fridays are horrible evil days full of misery and pain. All hope disappears in a cloud of despair.

But Wednesdays I have a wicked long break.

If that weren't enough of an inspiration, I also picked up a new camera. Top it off with an old friend's blog inspiring me to be a better writer, and the only thing I was missing was the time to actually write the damn thing.

Lucky for you all, it also turns out she (the old friend) also writes blogs that don't equal the length of a short novel. Viola.

Well, I gave it a shot. But I kept thinking of more and more things to include, and now look what happened... oh well. Onward and upward.

This is our new toothpaste. As you can see, this particular brand is Anti-Calculus. I bought it for this reason, since I also am Anti-Calculus. But we have some differences. The toothpaste takes a much softer stance on Calculus. It's willing to settle for economic sanctions, with the understanding that it will eventually withdraw from the areas of middle school and lower high school. But no timetable. And I'm like 'What the hell?' Mathematics has already proven itself to be evil. Calculus is one of the most evil expressions of an already evil group. I will not settle for less than a total and immediate withdrawal. English and Science classes are too permissive, meanwhile P.E. and Music are paying the price for their apathy. It's sick. Just freakin sick. I know I'm in the minority, but if it were up to me, I'd go straight for it's total annihilation. We can beat around the bush, but in the end it just has to be done.

Jen's not a huge fan of the picture, by the way. But if you all don't realize how absolutely beautiful she is, a better picture of her holding toothpaste won't cure your blindness/bad taste.


So this was funny:
Sometimes I think we should be paying more attention to which folks we let leave the country. They're making us look bad. Recently Jen was walking with a group of the foreign teachers, and one was commenting on how he didn't understand how Koreans don't pay attention to whats going on around them. He went on to hypothesize that perhaps the shape of their eyes limits their peripheral vision.

You can't make this stuff up. You really can't.

Jen's reply was misunderstood, but for the best. He admits, 'jokingly', to being an Asiaist (As in prejudice against Asians). I won't share what I think.

So as you gathered from the last post, Daisii made it safely to South Korea. She and Jen have been running around and having a blast, and as you can see the travel didn't change much. I confess that I have joined them on a misadventure or two. But thanks to the magic of torrents, I also now have a couple hundred old Super Nintendo games on Jen's old laptop. So when the estrogen reaches dangerous levels I have a safe haven. ::phew::







Church is still good. I can't help but getting a little excited when I hear the pastor speak. The cynical part of me supposes that it has to do with the fact that I don't really know him. I still don't have pics of the place, but I'll get them up soon. Cool side note: They have the coolest chairs ever. I confess that I have been distracted by them during service. But seriously, is anyone surprised?









Hey, let's meet some new people!
Sarah and Rob come to us from Canada, a little north of Maine. I didn't know anything lived up there.
Correction: I didn't know anyone would live up there. I thought we had the technology to move away from places like that. They showed up together, but just as friends. Imagine their surprise when they found out they would be living together!
Sounds like they should get a sitcom so we can follow all their wacky hijinks. But they get NOTHING. You're already reading my blog. No backs-ies.



Anyway, here's Sarah with Mark:
















And here's Rob with Jessica. (Seems only fair.)














Wednesday we did a big golbi (Korean BBQ, remember?) night. Plus (our job) paid. I ate too much. Here's some pics.




This is the restaurant. It was a nice place, so I took a picture.

This is Chris and Sophie. Both very cool people. Chris is a sub, Sophie is his girlfriend. She cooks a mean batch of golbi.



This is Mr. Yea. (I have no clue how it's spelled.) He's the general manager for our branch of Plus. Very nice guy, but his English isn't the best.



And here's Jen and I with Moon and Angelica, a few of the Korean teachers. Good times were had by all.


One more picture of Angelica. She's one of the only teachers than doesn't avoid the camera. Which is good, since we had a camera.

Thanks for your comments, by the way. Jen and I love reading them. I've now got it set so that any comments you leave get emailed to me so I can get them quicker. It just makes us happy. So thanks again.

And to reply, yes, I have lost 25lbs and counting. I know a lot of you have been wondering how. Well, here's my secret.

First, spend a few years eating fast food, and drinking too much Coke. Make sure you avoid any serious exercise, and only walk from the front door to the car door. Then move to a country where most of the main dishes are something you don't like (seafood, in my case), be forced to walk everywhere, and strap on 10 or so pounds of stuff in a backpack wherever you go. Just to make sure, though, Korea has no concept of what a "large" is. The biggest cup they offer at McDonalds is about the size of a medium back home. All that, and suddenly you've dropped some poundage.

Seriously though, I feel great. I'm liking the way I look, and I have more energy than ever. I am drinking a LOT more water too. The Korean food is just healthier. But McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts are starting to get big out here, so watch out my skinny Korean friends. Your obesity epidemic is right around the corner...

Ok, I'm going to wrap this one up. I've got 15 other things to share, but I want to get this one up and out. For grins and giggles, I'm going to leave you with 2 pics. The first one is at one of my going away parties, the other is another recent shot.




Ok, one more. Since I'm getting a little cocky, here's an embarrassing photo of my buddy Sam and I. We shaved our heads earlier tonight, and tried to take a picture. It didn't come out as cool as we hoped.




Much love,
Al and Jen

8 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

First!!

I had to.

I'm pretty sure if you shaved all of your body hair you would double your wight-loss. Glad to see things are going well and you seem to be recovering very well from your coke addiction. BTW you are developing a bad habit of drunk dialing and then saying "I'll call you back in a little bit" then you don't call back. Post more often, we can't get enough! Talk to you soon. WT!

Irish Blessings said...

25 lbs and counting....wow, maybe we should go on that diet here at home!! I have to say, you look more like the pictures Ive seen of you from.....high school? I don't know when, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Well, I guess since I don't have a belly to put a glass of milk on while watching football you lost yours that you place beer on....ces la vive!

Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I must admit that you and Sam look naked in that last picture... a bit scary, but funny at least. ;o)

We miss you guys so much. I'm so happy to read about all your adventures, but it makes me sad too. We should be having funny adventures together, dammit! lol

Honestly, though, it looks like you've met some decent people and are getting along quite well. :o)

Anonymous said...

hey al,past saturday i drank a whole bottle of Southern Comfort 100 proof for you. man i forgot how smooth that stuff.

hope you an jen are doing good

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the weight loss and keep up the good work! I'm glad to hear that you guys seem to have a pretty cool group of friends to have fun with. Oh, and .. mmmm BBQ.

JLC said...

So, are you planning on keeping the new 'do or did you finish whacking off the rest?

I tried to think of something witty and snarky to say in response to the hypothesis that Asians aren't more aware of their surroundings because of the shapes of their eyes, but I'm at a loss — a total round-eye loss. It makes me want to smack my head on my desk.

Layne said...

Another list, alphabetical this time, for variety:

A)Is that new Sarah girl married?? In that pic with Mark it looks like she's wearing and e-ring and wedding band . . . but it's on the wrong hand. If she is I think it's strange that she's coming half-way around the world with a man, not her hubs, and sharing an apartment with him. Scandulous, indeed. I know this has nothing to do with nothing but I'm curious and observant so I tend to ask silly questions about minute details. Onward. . . .

B) I was thinking from the golbi pics that you needed a haircut. But then I noticed you went ahead and took care of that yourself, again. With a buzzcut. . .again. And . . a mohawk. . . . AGAIN. You really do amuse yourself, huh? First, your mohawk looks a little less mohawk-y and a little on the "fluffy" side. You might wanna do something about that. Second, when are you men gonna learn that the tough-guy-pose you all like so well with the head thrown back just lets people see up you nose? Sheesh. Btw, no boogers. . .good job. Sheesh.

C) That toothpaste scares me. I don't wanna know what the shampoo over there looks like!

Alright, I think I'm done.
Peace out,
~Layne

PS: Do you know that I actually had to look up how to spell booger. I had no clue! Weird, huh?