Wednesday, August 6, 2008

We're 25% Down! Or 75% Left....

Hello Readers!

I realized that the end of July made 3 months we've called South Korea home. What's more, that means that the first quarter is over for us. How nuts is that? I thought I'd take a moment and share my thoughts as we pass this point.
The Korean people are amazing. I know I've been through this with you guys before, but the difference in culture, and in worldview, can't be overstated. If you have an open mind, and take the time to learn, it's still an amazing experience.
Learning the language has been the biggest challenge. It's nothing like learning Spanish. See, when learning Spanish, or for that matter German, French, or even Latin, there is a base language that we can recognize. Not so in Korean. You have to forget everything you know about English. The best thing I can compare it to is something I learned in math once. We work from base 10, meaning that we base all of our counting on sets of 10. Well, we don't have to. There was a lesson they did in a math class once where we tried doing some basic math from a base of 7. So when you count to 6 you go straight to 11. From that, everything else changes. Adding, subtracting, and everything else, it's all completely different. It fried my brain. That's how this feels. I don't know if that makes sense, but there ya go.
The people are amazing. The little bits of understanding we have had are wonderful. Oftentimes, the little old ladies at the restaurant refuse to let us do things ourselves, and they get a real kick out of hearing us try out our God-awful Korean. The people in our apartment building, and in the area around it, smile and wave at us. The guy at the chicken place bows every time he sees me. (What can I say? I love fried chicken...)

We've also learned a lot about ourselves, too. Our marriage is stronger, and we're starting to really look forward to the future. Sometimes I honestly lie awake at night and think about owning my own home, and being able to actually let my wife go to town decorating (a HUGE hobby of hers). And I, of course, have plans for a house-wide stereo system that I can control remotely from anywhere in the house. Ok, ok, NEAR the house. But 2 blocks, tops. And then there's the deck I want to build...

The worst part has been two sides of the same coin- we do miss home. The Scullys and the Benoits are both now parents, and missing the birth of their children has been frustrating for both Jen and I. God's praises that both of them are happy and healthy! Holidays are going to be rough out here, though. Christmas without my parents around is just going to suck. Period.
The other half of that has been frustrations with some of the moronic behavior of other folks from the West. The attitudes and ignorance leaves me spitting nails, and the petty high school level gossiping just makes me want to slap someone. Remembering the quality of the friends and family back home makes it particularly biting.

But there is a silver lining on both fronts. Just recently I managed to book Rocky Mountain Tavern (where I do that volunteer work) for an American style Thanksgiving. They are giving us the entire second floor of their main location, as well as use of their ovens, so that we can do a Thanksgiving you guys will be proud of. RMT is the one of the biggest foreign spots in Seoul, and it's all ours. The cost? Not a single won. They'll make sure they've got some wine and a bartender should we desire it, and that's it.
So, to recap, we're having an American Thanksgiving in a Canadian bar in the heart of South Korea, with guests from Korea, the US, Canada, South Africa, and at least a few Australians, Irish, and Brits. Say what you want, sounds pretty damn American to me.
The people here are getting better too. Two more new teachers showed up a few weeks ago, and they're great. We've got two more showing up in a week or two, and two more coming in after that. The end of October we'll get yet ANOTHER pair. I'm feeling pretty good that we'll be in good shape in no time.

So that's where we're at at the end of the first quarter. Don't worry, there's another blog coming right behind this one, and it's full of pretty pictures and random adventures. You guys are the best, we love you all, and think about you constantly.

Love,
Al & Jen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Al & Jen,
Esther and I love the blog. It's been a while since your last one. I was wondering if there was a way to send you some pics.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. You should be back in time for Kristen and I's first kid! You two going to be ready for an Al Jr. anytime soon?

Irish Blessings said...

Look at it this way, when you guys get back if you wait a while, Jenn and I might be pregnant together! We wanted to space them about 2 years apart....so......yeah!

That is so cool that you are going to have a Thanksgiving over there. And you're right. Whatever the nationality, it's good to give thanks! Have a blast and know that although there will be a time difference, we'll give thanks to you!

Way to go finnishing your first quarter, only 3 more to go! If you're back in the states in May, you'll be there for his 1st birthday party!

Love you guys!!!

Layne said...

Yeah, I know it's been hard on you and those families missing the births. It's so weird that so many of our friends are parents now!! Brad and I are still holding off, though. So as long as you decide to come home sometime in 2009 (read: you freakin' better come home next year!) you should be around to see Kris and I with-child. Werid, but true.